C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:48:34 -0400
I know what you're trying to say.  Have you heard of Stanley Greenspan?  He
believes in meeting the child at their level, even imitating what the child
does to build a bond with that child.  the little girl probably needs to be
seen by a neuropsych person to ensure there isn't any other pathology going
on.
Realize I can only give you very general ideas, not knowing the child
personally and seeing her reactions, knowing her background, medical status,
etc. During treatment with such a child, I would concentrate on seeing what
other sensory experiences she is looking for is she seeking them or avoiding
them, is she overaroused when she does the stimming or underaroused.  Show
her other ways to play with objects.  If she plays with the piano, see if
she will sing (or make silly sounds), or touch the same keys you do, etc.
Hope that gives you an idea on where to start.

Beth the OT
(who has been very busy finishing her epidemiology homework and now on to
Environmental and Occupational Health stuff.)

email address: [log in to unmask]