Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 11:40:34 -0700
On 3 Aug 2001, at 18:20, Computers a la Carte wrote:

> There is only 1 Ethernet line running into the worship center, so
> I disconnected that line from the computer and installed a small
> hub.  The hub's up-link port was connected to the incoming line.
> The computer and web cam were then connected to the hub.  The
> lights on the hub indicate the uplink, computer and web cam are
> working.  Have I done anything wrong to this point?

  Whether this can work can depend on what's on the other end of that
single Ethernet line.  It could, for instance, be a bridge/switch
that only allows for a single device.

  I've seen four variations of uplink ports on hubs.  It might be
helpful to know what model you have, so we know which situation
applies:

1a.  Uplink port is one of 4/8/16/24, with a switch (toggle or
pushbutton) to change between "normal" and "uplink"; with swith in
"normal" position, uplink does not work and only devices local to the
hub are reachable.

1b.  No designated uplink port among 4/8/16/24, but any can be used
as an uplink by installing a "crossover" cable.

2.  Uplink port is apparently one of 5/9/17/25.  It is *actually* one
of 4/8/16/24, but this one port has two connectors, one wired for
regular use and one wired crossover for uplink use.  Uplink will not
function correctly if a devide is plugged into the regular-wired
connector for this port.

3.  Uplink is a real, separate port.  In the most common case where
*I've* seen this, the uplink was also for RG-48 co-ax and not RJ-45
for Cat-5 at all.

David Gillett