From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 17:42:49 -0500
On Tue, 14 May 2002 09:33:09 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 May 2002, Philip Thrift wrote:
>
>> Another issue (discussed in The Protein Power Lifeplan, Eades) is
>> the high starch and carb content of beans, say relative to a root like
>> turnip. So beans may be problematic for people trying to lose fat.
>
>But many have a low glycemic index, which generally indicates a
>low insulin index, especially if they are not overcooked.  Weight
>loss plans that are based on the glycemic index of foods
>generally make extensive use of beans for precisely this reason.

This topic in the chat excerpt below is also discussed in
their PPLP book, which indicates otherwise.
The bottom line is that you still want lots of meat, low carbs and
starches.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blpowerproteinchat.htm

Cathy
I am a Registered Dietitian and my question is regarding the glycemic
index. I have read parts of your book and it seems that your basic theory
is in line with the glycemic index theory. Could one eat a higher
carbohydrate diet (50 - 60%) choosing lowglycemic index foods and get the
same benefits as your diet?

TheDrsEades
Probably not. Even low glycemic, if they represented 50-60% of caloric
intake, would be capable of running insulin up and in an insulin resistant
person, that is going to spell failure. In a very athletic person without
metabolic problems, it might work for maintenance. The sugar fructose has a
very low glycemic index - about 27 and as a consequence is thought to not
stimulate glucose and insulin elevation and is used as part of a low
glycemic diet, however fructose is a dangerous sugar that increases fat in
the blood and promotes insulin resistance. We have found in our years of
practice, that limiting the available carbohydrate irrespective of what
kind is the best way to bring about the changes we seek.