From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 08:18:39 -0400
Philip Thrift wrote:

> http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=sciencenews&StoryID=948291

As I understand it, while fluoride makes bones denser it is also making
them more brittle. It is not a healthy influence. Brittleness doesn't
matter so much for the spine, since it is mostly under compression. So
the increased density is good for vertebrae. But the brittleness means
more hip and other fractures, and of course there are other negative
health consequences of boosting your fluoride intake. I wonder if this
study only looked at density and not overall health, or even overall
bone and tooth health (excess fluoride is absolutely known to cause
defective tooth enamel). There are many other things to do to make
healthy bones, such as getting plenty of vitamin D, protein, magnesium,
phosphorus, and weight bearing exercise.