From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:41:37 -0600
>From: Mary <[log in to unmask]>

>When my husband was in the hospital, the hospital menu ordering form had a
>picture of the "pyramid" on it and the form told the patient to order foods
>in the same ratio as the pyramid.

I'm getting ready to send out that article on the USDA Food Pyramid to those
who requested it but here's the gist of it.  All US government agencies are
bound by law (PL 101-445) to "promote and implement" the USDA Food Pyramid.
Any group or organization that wants Uncle Sam to smile in its direction
(or, better yet, throw money in its direction) must do the same.  Not all
hospitals are government agencies (VA Hospitals are) but this law also
states the gubment will do its part to teach physicians all about this nifty
plan.  In the good ol' US of A, Uncle Sam is all but God on High and thus
the pyramid - on cereal boxes, hanging on the walls of most doctor's offices
and school clinics, in school textbooks and on and on and on.

I've heard it said that the feds also limit research to the food pyramid and
tenets thereof.  My (former) firm couldn't confirm this for Drs. Eades, but
when's the last time you saw a federally subsidized study on any other
dietary prototype?  At last check, one study was underway on Atkins vs.
another popular diet plan but the second was nothing more than a
lower-calorie rendition of the pyramid plus exercise.  Exercise alone can
make a difference; can you say "stacked deck"?  Oh, and several of the Big
Cheeses behind the second diet had served on various government boards and
panels.  Pee-yoo!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO