From:
Alison Whitwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:14:33 +1000
Hi Karen,

I'm reading an excellent book at the moment called "Potatoes not Prozac" by
Kathleen DesMaisons. ISBN 0-671-77377-1

It talks about how sugar affects 3 things in your brain - blood sugar,
serotnin and beta-endorphin. It talks about the chemical process that is
going on. It also has a very good plan to slowly and safely move away from
sugar (carbs) in the diet to a healthy life. It requires keeping a food
journal and becoming a master of your own health and diet, rather than a
slave to sugar.

It talks about how to get serotonin into the brain by eating protein but
then also having some complex carb later to push it into the brain.

It's helping me.

It's not particulary paleo although it does suggest avoiding wheat but
mainly for it's high carb content. It doesn't mind dairy either.

In particular, doing the food journal again (I'd stopped a few months ago)
has made me focus again on what I eat and how I feel physically and
mentally. My focus on health has returned.

Thanks, Al