From:
Karen Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:28:43 -0400
Thanks for all the responses. My mother doesn't have a problem with
cholesterol, just the HBP. The point I have trouble with is that some
low-carb authors don't seem to differentiate between refined carbs and
whole-food carbs like veggies and whole grains. (My mother is not ready to
do a completely grain-free diet, but at least is cutting out all gluten
grains). The difference in glycemic response is very different between a
refined flour product eaten on an empty stomach, and, say, brown rice eaten
with low-glycemic foods to bring down the net glycemic index.

So, is it really useful to count total carbs, lumping all carbs together?
When you say dumping all the carbs for 2 weeks, do you include veggies?

I'm also confused about foods like brown rice being, by itself, a high
glycemic food. I thought that whole grains contain minerals like chromium
that naturally help metabolize the sugars.

-Karen