From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 04:07:04 -0500
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:49:02 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Flax seed is not technically a grain, since grains are considered
>to be the seeds of various grasses, and the flax plant is not a
>grass.

If neanderthin attacks grains is seems to attack primarily cereal grains
which are grass seeds.
However the reason why so is not so clear.
The first reasoning I heared against "grains" is the antinutrient content of
them, phytin, lectins and some less important ones.
These natural barrieres have been mastered by the technique of food
processing man could apply, like roasting, cooking, leeching, sprouting.
This is a main common characteristic of humanity and opened up a gread deal
of food resources which were previously unavailable.
Or only expliotable in much less quantities.
Including cereals (above a certain percentage) legumes, several tree seeds
like acorns and meat.

Flax does have some phytin btw. but I read that in oil seeds it would be
even beneficial for some reason.

The second reasoning was that cereal grains contained "too much
carbohydrates".
I think this statement is both: totally wrong and very justified.
Wrong because a whole grain has a very favourable mix of energy, protein and
vitamins. In general carbohydrate is the original food energy for primates
(fruit).
Very justified, because 1.many people suffer from diabetic and pre-diabetic
conditions and should avoid or decrease carbohydrates in general. and
2.because almost any "grain" available in our industry world are mere
extractions of the least valuable part of it: starch.
3.Because avoiding cereals fights the common wheat allergy.

> But it is also true that flax seeds are not really a food
>either.  The seeds have mainly a laxative effect, and not much
>nutrition is gotten by eating them.

Flax seeds are like most seeds a very good package of nutrition.
They have more protein than meat (24%) and a very high fat content (30%)
which is missing in game meat.
However you can't make flax seeds a staple because of it's mucilage and too
high omega-3 fat part (You call it laxative effect which I can't notice).

The extraordinary qualities of flax as w-3 fat source make it a must for all
agricultural societies, like wheat farmers we are since some  1000 years
including those who eat only meat (fed with wheat).
This miracle plant has also some anti-cancer substances in it (much more in
the seed than in the oil).

> It's doubtful that
>paleolithic people ate flax seeds,..

Have you seen how the flax seeds come in nature?
I've seen my first in a stone age house project.
Cute little packages of a few seeds only.
I'm shure any gatherer encountering such natural stands would have
enjoyed them.

Amadeus
flax enthusiast
no idea what 20/20 means