From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:06:55 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> As
> little as we may know about the science of nutrtion, we also know
> very little about what paleo people actually ate, day in and day
> out.  So, in my view, we should make use of whatever information
> we have.

And we couldn't duplicate the diet of paleo persons, even if we knew what
they ate, of course, because the foods are no longer available to us that
were available then, in the same forms as they were available (at least for
most of us.)

Paleo eating is in fact a **method of extracting scientific knowledge about
what paleo people apparently ate, and finding analogs for the same type of
eating using today's foods**, which are of course quite different than what
was historically available.

I am (so far) unwilling to eat bugs, for instance, although I am fairly
confident that insects made up a significant component of the paleo diet. So
I analogize with big thick steaks, flaxseed oil, etc.

--Richard