CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Janet Wager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:38:00 -0500

Thanks for all of the great emails I received!  They were so helpful, and I
appreciate the time and effort you took to help me out.  I now have a good
listing of tests to discuss with my physician.  Tests recommended were:

CBC--recheck on your anemia & iron replacement.

Chemistry panel--esp liver functions (reported abnormal in some CDs)
albumin/total protein (general nutritional state), Ca/PO4 (parathyroid
metabolism), BUN/creatinine (kidney fxn).

Anti-endomysial IgA antibody--this most closely correlates with GI damage.
It takes 4-8 months to return to normal.

Tissue transglutaminase test-same indicator as endomysial but cheaper,
probably will be test to follow in long run.  You want to get it with
endomysial so you're sure it mi rrors.  Relatively new test-some labs
don't do it yet.  LabCorp doesn't, ARUP does by my latest check.

IgA & IgG (anti) Gliadin are optional.  Takes even longer to go down.

Iron & iron binding if it wasn't done earlier, otherwise wait until CBC is
OK.  Ferritin unreliable with inflammation.

DEXA scan of femur & spine.  If > 2 standard deviations down, consider
n-telopeptide (? Osteomalacia) & PTH (? secondary hyperparathyroidism).
Good news--most CD osteoporosis corrects with Ca & vit D replacement.

Intestinal permeability test (test for leaky gut)

Adrenal steroid panel (determines if there is collateral internal organ
damage)

Protein/carbohydrate/fats digestion (determines if there is a problem
digesting foods in these categories)

Test for IgA deficiency (if recurring infections are a problem)

Parasite/harmful bacteria a
ssessment (checks for abnormal parasite burden)

B-12 and folic acid levels (check for absorptive function)  If B-12 is
abnormally low, then  also obtain a Heidelberg test to determine stomach
acid levels. Enzyme or acid supplementation could be very beneficial.

Helicobacter pylori test

Iron binding capability (make certain that you do not have hemochromatosis,
which sometimes mimics celiac disease and is also hereditary.

Your blood type if you do not already know it. You may want to use the
ER4YT (eat right 4 your type) diet.

Liver enzymes and pancreatic function

Basal temperature test (this is something that you collect the data for,
and the doctor interprets after about 2 weeks of data collection) Basal
temperature is the core temperature of the body while in a resting
state.  Lower or higher than normal readings are an indicator that
adrenal steroids (or other factor s)are not correct for your personal
physiology, even if you show consistently normal results.

T3, T4 and TSH Levels (thyroid)

nutrient levels hemocult calciumChem12 vit D vit K magnesium zinc Folic
Acid Food Allergy testing abdominal CAT scan Blood tests for heart,liver
and kidneys and glucose, white blood count, red blood count ,hemoglobin,
granucytes

And other sites to visit or for more information:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages/

Our medical advisor, Dr. Sheila E. Crowe, a GI (who also has a celiac
husband) came and talked to our group back in Sept.  Her talk on "After
the Diagnosis, What's Next?"  is just what you need.  She is reviewing
my transcription at the moment.  It will be available in our January
2001 chapter newsletter as part of an annual membership to our chapter
in Houston.  You are welcome to join us.  Memberships are just $15 per
year.  Send your check to Houston Celiac Support Group, 13722 Ashley
Run, Houston, TX 77077, and I'll sign you up.

Also recommended were:

Vitamin supplements including a good multi, vit.C, Vit E and calcium /
magnesium A flu shot every year A pneumovax shot Are you totally gluten
free,and no cross-contamination?

Do you keep a food journal?