CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:19:28 -0800

>were you diagnosed w "hypoglycemia" <which would mean too LOW>,
>or "hyperglycemia" <which would mean too HIGH> ?????

>The 2 different terms are exact opposites.

Although it's true that they are referring to opposite blood sugar states,
it's my understanding that they can be intimately related, in that insulin
resistance and hyperinsulinemia, which can be preludes to Type 2 diabetes,
can produce hypoglycemia.  I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but, as I
understand it, the body is trying harder and harder, in the face of
increasing insulin resistance, to regulate the blood sugar, by
over-producing insulin.  Eventually it is thought that through some
mechanism I don't fully understand the pancreas "burns out" and is unable to
keep up adequate insulin production, resulting in diabetes.  When in the
"over-producing insulin" phase, people can experience rebound-hypoglycemic
symptoms.

I know several people with insulin resistance syndrome (not diabetes,
actually high insulin) who's doctors have put them on limited-carb diets in
efforts to forestall diabetes.  I myself, with Type 2 diabetes in the
family, a tendency towards obesity, and some signs of insulin resistance (my
insurance co won't pay for a GTT) find I do better on a limited carb diet.
When I eat too many carbs, I crave more later, for example.

To Vivian:

I don't limit my carbs to 60 per day, but I try to stay under 100-120, and I
try to keep them low on the glycemic index; this makes a huge difference in
how I feel and my weight.  I also try to eat around 30% calories from fat,
mostly monounsaturated, which tends to lower the GI of the meal.  (This is
roughly equivalent to the "Zone" diet.)  For the rest, I eat low-fat
proteins.  I get many ideas from Zone sites on the net, with menus and
recipes, and if you are interested I can send you some URL's.  It's very
compatible with a GF diet, since it  is low in grains, although you will
find some oatmeal which you can ignore.  Many hypoglycemic people report
help with this diet.  The only caution I would make would be not to "count
blocks" as they do, but to eat according to hunger, and to watch your total
carb intake rather than as a percentage.

Examples of meals I eat:

Breakfast of cottage cheese, fruit, and nuts (no other breakfast works as
well for me)
Lunch of tuna or chicken on a green salad, perhaps with fruit
Dinner - almost any meat-and-veggies dish you can think of, minus the grains
and root vegetables

As I said, let me know if you're interested in URLs

Laura