Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:03:40 EDT
Judy,

> Its when I get too neurotic, uptight, preachy, self-rightous, orderly, anal
or self absorbed about food that life becomes no damn fun.

Yes, and when I get that way about food, I will tend to binge.  Because of my
lifelong struggle with my weight, I have some compulsive eating problems that
are very much triggered by diets.  The mere thought that a food is
"forbidden" makes me want to eat it.  Thinking I will never be able to eat
chocolate again makes me eat much more of it than I would if I thought it
would always be there for me if I want it.

There's been quite a lot written about the diet/binge cycle for people with
compulsive eating problems, and the wisdom in this literature has been the
only thing standing between me and total loss of control around food.  It's
very hard for me to reconcile the need to eliminate the concept of "forbidden
foods" (so my compulsive eating isn't triggered) with the need to eat in a
way that will allow my sick intestines to heal.

I mentioned when I introduced myself that I have ulcerative colitus.  I had a
colonoscopy yesterday, and I was disappointed to learn that I still have
inflammation in one area of my colon (the ascending colon--even more
disappointing because it's relatively high up).  When I eat too many carbs
(as I was doing recently before deciding to go paleo), the effect on my
bowels is immediate and obvious.  I simply can't do it.  And yet, these are
the foods I crave.  It's really helpful for me to read that people here have
a flexible attitude towards this diet, and sometimes eat non-paleo without
beating themselves over the head for it.  That helps me a great deal.  If I
know I don't have to do this perfectly, then it's much easier for me to do it.

I've been eating mostly paleo for the last week or so.  The main thing I've
noticed is that I'm not so filled up by the main course when I go to
restaurants.  I went to a fish place with some friends tonight.  I had a
lobster, and asked them to give me steamed veggies and extra cole slaw in
place of potatoes or rice.  I didn't eat any of the bread they put on the
table.  I could have eaten way more lobster than they gave me (would have had
trouble PAYING for it, but I could have eaten it).  I've noticed this each
time I've eaten low carb in restaurants.  I'm not completely filled when I
don't eat the bread and starchy side dishes.

     - Sheryl