Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:47:17 -0400
Karen wrote:

<<A recent study ('98 I believe), showed that the ALA in flax (and other
plant
sources) are very poorly converted to the bioavailable EPA and DHA.
(something like 6 % and 1 % respectively). The enzyme responsible for the
conversion may be affected by the following factors: presence of Omega-6
oils in the diet; deficiencies of magnesium, zinc, and B6; and presence of
trans-fats in the diet.>>

**  This is true.  The presence of high levels of saturated,
monounsaturated, trans-fst, and cholesterol will inhibit conversion of ALA
to EPA.

 The conversion of ALA to EPA relies upon adequate levels of B3, B6, C,
Magnesium and Zinc to fuel the action of the D6 desaturase enzyme (this
action of this enzyme is required for conversion).

  In general, it takes about ten grams of ALA to convert to one gram EPA.

   Flaxseed also contains cyanogen that our bodies convert into the chemical
thiocyanate.  If one has large amounts of this in the blood (more than 3
tablespoons a day of flax seed) it can interfere with the take up of iodine
by the thyroid.   It has been found that cooking the flax seed (usually in
something else) deactivates the cyanogen.

<<The popularity of flax oil seems to be part of the health food industry
hype
that I'm finding out is more rampant than I knew.>>

  Flax oil spoils easily when exposed to air, heat, or light.

I don't know that I'd consider the  talk of flax oil "hype".  It's a
reasonable alternative for vegetarians.
Siobhan