From:
Rose Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 09:44:33 -0500

When were in Ireland recently, there were articles in the news about a young
army recruit who had been discharged because she was a celiac.  The
rationale was that in case of war/crisis she would not be able to get the
proper food or medical care she needed.  Barring further appeals, the ruling
would affect any celiacs in the service.

With our current crisis and the mobilization orders going out rapidly, I'm
wondering if there has been any thought to providing gf food to celiacs
relocated to places where our food  isn't easily available (or they don't
have time or transportation to find it?).  I remember well how exhausted my
non-celiac son was during Desert Storm.  I doubt that military mess even
considers the gf diet!

If any one knows of any provisions for gf food for mobilized forces, please
let me know and I will pass the word along.  Perhaps this is something that
all celiac organizations can work on together!

Kudos to Ener-G foods for their contributions in NYC and DC.

Rose Mary in W. Ky.