EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:23:38 -0700
Hi listers  try this address.

http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/access/accesswgbh.html

I called a friend, he said to search for the letters w g b h

Hear is the textt.

a<: WGBH logo><: Web Access Symbol (for people with disabilities)>

Access Instructions
for Users with Disabilities

Access Instructions Table of Contents

•How WGBH Online Is Organized •Why and How Is WGBH Online "accessible"?
•Instructions for Blind and Visually Impaired Users •Instructions for Deaf
and Hard-of-Hearing Users

Media Access Links

•CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM),
Home of the Web Access Project
•The Caption Center
•Descriptive Video Service

How WGBH Online Is Organized

WGBH Online is designed to make navigation for all users as simple as
possible. For visitors who use screen readers or text-only browsers, WGBH
Online maintains a text version of the home page. Subsequent pages may be
navigated with a screen reader as well; see instructions below. All images
make use of alt-text tags and descriptions, or D links. Text links may be
found at the bottom of each page. (To learn more about alt-text tags and D
links, see Instructions for Blind and Visually Impaired Users.) Audio clips
are transcribed, and movie clips are captioned, described and transcribed.

WGBH Online is divided into three distinct levels:

•Home page •Level 1 pages •Level 2 pages

Home Page

The WGBH home page contains navigational text links at the top and bottom,
plus five selectable images containing alt-text links. Near the bottom of
the page are two categories, "TV Programs We Produce," and "Radio Programs
We Produce." Select either category to reveal a pop-up menu. Choose the
program you want and then select the "Go" button. This feature is also
included in the text version of WGBH Online. (If you are using a
Java-enabled browser, you don't have to select "Go" after choosing a
program.) Several more text links are located at the bottom of the page.

Level 1 Pages

There are five Level 1 pages: "TV," "Radio," "Web." "Learn," and "Members,"
The contents of these pages will change weekly, in the case of "Television"
and "Radio," and "Web" and monthly, in the case of "Learn" and "Events."

All Level 1 pages are organized identically. Navigational text links may be
found at the top and bottom, including links to the other Level 1 pages.
Each page contains selectable images and alt-text tags at the top. Select
the D link at the top of the page to find a description of the images with
corresponding text links. You may also follow an image link by follwing its
alt-text tag.

Level 2 Pages

Level 2 pages describe in detail the programming and services available
from WGBH. Navigational text links may be found at the top and bottom,
including links to the other Level 1 pages. Each page contains selectable
images and alt-text tags at the top. Select the D link at the top of the
page to find a description of the images with corresponding text links. You
may also follow an image link by following its alt-text tag.

Return to Table of Contents

Why and How Is WGBH Online "Accessible"?

Diversity is one of the fundamental principles that shapes public
broadcasting's service to the American people. The country, and therefore
our audience, is made up of diverse groups with different needs. Public
broadcasting is committed to making knowledge and the creative life of the
arts, sciences, and humanities available to the widest possible public,
including audiences traditionally under-served by commercial information
technologies and services.

Recognizing the cultural diversity of the population entails an
acknowledgment that languages, communication methods, and abilities also
differ. In order to truly serve diverse audiences, information and
programming must be accessible to these populations. Access technologies
such as captioning, video description, and audio translations facilitate
accessibility and help public broadcasting fulfill its commitment to its
audience.

It has been said that "a sidewalk with a curb cut is a better sidewalk."
Curb cuts were originally created for wheelchair users, but are also used
and appreciated by elderly people, cyclists, and people with strollers or
carts. Likewise, accessible online services are better online services --
better not only because they are more inclusive, but also because access
technologies can enhance the educational and entertainment experiences of
the general population.

WGBH Online will make every effort to assure that people who are disabled
are able to enjoy and understand its content as fully as possible. We will
provide descriptions of graphics and movies and navigation aids for blind
and visually impaired users, and we will provide text and captioned
versions of audio services and movies for deaf and hard-of-hearing users.

This is an evolving service and we welcome your input. Accessible online
services are a new invention and we want you to help us invent them --
every day. Please send us mail with your suggestions and comments -- you
can help us make WGBH Online accessible to everyone!

Return to Table of Contents

Instructions for Blind and Visually Impaired Users

These pages have been designed to be used with a screen-reader.

Described images are followed by a D (in some cases, the D precedes the
image). The D is a selectable hyperlink that will bring you to a textual
description of the image.

The description is typically two or three sentences, and may contain
hyperlinks. At the end of the description is another hyperlink -- "Return."
Selecting Return will take you back to the image.

Example:
<: DVS logo>D.

Decriptions for WGBH Online are provided by Descriptive Video Service.

All images on this site are also accompanied by a two-to three-word
alt-text tag. These tags are visible if your browser supports the alt-text
function.

Described Movie Clips
The CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM) has been
experimenting with ways to provide audio descriptions on Web-based movie
clips, through the use of QuickTime software. Descriptions have been added
as an additional sound track and, with one particular video player that
we've found, may be turned on or off. If you are a Mac user and don't have
software to play movies, click here to download MoviePlayer. You can also
click here to download QuickTime for the Mac. If you are using a PC, click
here to download QuickTime for Windows, or click here to download Net Toob,
a multi-format movie player.

To turn the descriptions off from within MoviePlayer, open the EDIT menu,
choose ENABLE TRACKS and click on DESCRIPTIONS. This feature is a toggle;
to turn the descriptions back on, click on DESCRIPTIONS again. Movie
players other than MoviePlayer for the Mac show the clip with open
descriptions only.

Example:

Manhole Covers
QuickTime (2.7 meg)
AVI (3.8 meg)

Visit the NCAM site for more examples of described movies.

Return to Table of Contents

Instructions for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Users

The CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM) has been
experimenting with ways to provide captions on Web-based movie clips,
through the use of QuickTime software. Captions have been added as a text
track (in addition to the audio and video tracks) and, with one particular
video player that we've found, may be turned on or off, thus simulating
broadcast closed captions. If you are a Mac user and don't have software to
play movies, click here to download MoviePlayer. You can also click here to
download QuickTime for the Mac. If you are using a PC, click here to
download QuickTime for Windows, or click here to download Net Toob, a
multi-format movie player.

To turn the captions off from within MoviePlayer, open the EDIT menu,
choose ENABLE TRACKS and click on TEXT TRACK. This feature is a toggle; to
turn the captions back on, click on TEXT TRACK again. Movie players other
than MoviePlayer for the Mac show the clip with open captions only.

Transcripts are available by clicking on a link below a movie title.

Example:

Manhole Covers
QuickTime (2.7 meg)
AVI (3.8 meg)
Transcript

Visit the NCAM site for more examples of captioned movies.

You can help us in our efforts to develop Web captioning and description by
sending your comments to [log in to unmask] To learn more about NCAM's
activities regarding Web access for people with disabilities, click here to
visit the Web Access Project.

Return to Table of Contents

<: go to top>
<: PBS><: WGBH>home | site map | search | contact us | shop
TV | Radio | Web | Learn | Members

© WGBH 2001