From:
Nancy McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:00:55 +0000

I really appreciated the response, thanks so much.  There was a wide variety
of recommendations for alternatives to NSAIDs for treating my injured
rotator cuff.  I am being treated for LGS and should avoid the use of
anti-inflammatory drugs.

I.  To take internally: 5 people mentioned using turmeric capsules, though
one person cautioned that it can also irritate the intestines in large
doses.  Nature's Way and Solaray were recommended brands.

White willow bark (particularly Nature's Way which comes in a gelatin
capsule) was recommended by 3 people.  One person also takes acidophilus in
conjunction with it.Also mentioned were:  Feverfew (Nature's Way);
Boswellia; Bromelain (Country Life); MSM; Inflavonoid Intensive Care by
Metagenics (containing Boswellia and turmeric); Probiotics (acidophilus) and
L-Glutamine "formula", one capsule of each at every meal; Essential Fatty
Acids:  oils of Evening Primrose, Black Currant Seed and Borage.  Several
people recommended gentler NSAIDs:  a pharmaceutical rep. specifically named
cox-2 NSAIDs ("ask your doctor - gentler than standard") and another person
mentioned relafen, a brand name.  For Pain, two people take Tylenol, esp.
the one designed for Arthritis, and one recommended Cat's Claw.

II.  Topical treatments:  Arnica Gel; Capsaicin; Ketaprofen 10% gel; Aloe
vera; Ben Gay.  One person described an ice massage (freeze water in a Dixie
Cup, peel away the cup and massage the area with the ice- initially painful,
but eventually numbing)

III.  Other therapies:  Acupuncture; Chiropractic and massage therapy;
Cortisone injection.

Just for the record, I have been taking probiotics(acidophilus),
freeze-dried aloe vera, Betaine Hcl, and Fish and Evening Primrose Oils for
4 or 5 months as part of the LGS treatment, though I had to discontinue the
oils because of allergic reactions to other ingredients in the gelcaps. I
have also been seeing a chiropractor for a couple of weeks with no relief.
Since I made the post, A friend who is a physical therapist has told me that
even "natural" sources of anti-inflammatories can be hard on the digestive
tract, so I'm a little worried and guess the topical sources should be my
first approach, then pick one of the internal remedies.    She also gave me
an exercise that she has used to free up "frozen shoulders".  It increases
the circulation  without the danger of using the damaged tissue. I can
describe it and the simple pulley equipment used if anyone is interested.
It  certainly seems worth it to me to try that first before cortisone shots
and/or surgery.  :-)

Thanks again for all the input.    Nancy in So. Oregon