From:
Shellie Kepley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:40:35 -0500

Between all the great suggestions sent to me and my search in the
archives I've got enough recipes to try for eons.  I'll be as a big as a
house!  I've started from the easiest thing which was most often
recommended which is just straight subbing in GF flour in the original
Toll House Recipe and adding Xanthan Gum and wht choc and mac nuts for
the regular chips.  I had the same problem I usually have--the cookies
run/spread too much.  In the archives there were some ideas to correct
that:  slightly less butter (3/4 C vs 1 C), more flour, more xanthan (I
used 1 tsp), use part sweet rice flour.  I also plan to try using pretty
chilled butter instead of ultra soft room temp and reduce the white sugar
to 1/2 C instead of 3/4 C.  Of course if I change multiple things at once
I won't know for any certainty what helped.  Anyway, over time I'll try
more of the ideas/recipes yall kindly sent!  In the end, although not
perfect, the cookies really hit the spot.

White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookie suggestions:

Shellie - I've had great success with Sylvan Border Farms General Purpose

Flour substituted into the Toll House recipe.

*****

Miss Roben (www.missroben.com) makes a versatile crunchy
cookie mix.  Tastes EXACTLY like Toll-House in my opinion.

******

I make the chocolate chip cookies in Bette Hagman's Revised Gluten Free
Gourmet book.

*****

Gourmet GFCF Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/2 cup of GF flour (premixed)
OR
1 1/2 cups, plus 3 TBL white rice flour
1/2 cup, plus 1 TBL potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca flour

1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
2 sticks cf margarine
3 eggs
1 bag cf chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using an electric mixer, cream margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar
and eggs together.

In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt together.

Slowly add flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture, until it is
completely mixed.

Add chocolate chips and stir by hand.

Spoon cookie dough onto greased cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes (or longer if you make big cookies).

******

I've had great luck just substituting a gluten-free flour mixture for
the flour called for in the Mrs. Fields chocolate chip cookie recipe or
the toll-house recipe.  I like to make them with macadamia nuts, also.
I have used Bette Hagman's mixture (rice flour, tapioca starch, and
potato starch)and the new 4 flour bean mix.  You can put a little
xanthan gum in, also.  I use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp per cup of flour.  The best
recipe I have found is in Aileen Bennett's Cajun and Southern Gluten-
Free Delights.

*****

Our favorite choco-chip cookies are made using the Toll House recipe on
the bag but substituting the flour with Gluten Free Pantry's French
Bread Mix, cup for cup... so far those are best I have found but I also
really like Kinnickinnick's Montana choco-chip cookies, pre-made...  I
usually make a small first pan and decide whether I need to add more
flour.  The four flour blend is great for substituting one to one for
wheat flour. Make sure that you add a tsp or two of xanthan gum, too.

******

To make 3 cups Four Flour Mix:
o 2/3 cup Garfava Bean Flour
o 1/3 cup Sorghum Flour
o 1 cup Cornstarch
o 1 cup Tapioca Flour

*****

I have made Bette Hagman's "Paradise Drops" for wheat eaters who gobbled
them up!

*****

Use Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix with...the recipe for the "toll House
like" choc. chip cookies is on the pkg.

*****

AMERICAN COOKIES
125g butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c castor sugar
1 egg
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 c soy flour
2 tspn xantham gum
pinch salt
1/2 tspn bicarbonate of soda
125g dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
90 g white chocolate, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 180C.

Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.

Add egg and vanilla then beat again.

Sift flour, salt and bicarb over top and mix well.

Add both kinds of chocolcate and mix with a wooden spoon until soft.
Roll into balls about the size of walnuts.

Bake 12-15 mins or until outside edge is brown. KEEP AN EYE ON THE TIME
OR THEY WILL BE TOO CRISP!!

Leave on tray to firm slightly then cook on rack.

Variations
1. Leave out chocolate and add 1 tblspn dutch cinnamon (comes out very
similar to spekulaas if cooked a minute or two longer until crisp)
2. Replace either chocolate with nuts of your choice.
3. Leave out chocolate and replace with chopped walnuts and dates

Note:(I have a New Zealand cookbook with conversions if anyone needs
them)