EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:55:09 -0000
7bit
From:
Adrian Higginbotham <[log in to unmask]>
I find myself agreeing with John on this one.
As screenreaders become more and more powerful and adaptable, as we have all
dreampt for years they would, we find ourselves spending more and more time
manipulating the adaptive tech rather than getting on and processing
information. I often have to re configure my set-up according to whether I
am browsing for pleasure or analysing for work, and even then there's a
whole raft of varying levels within those categories. Maybe it's time we had
a way of setting a preferences profile for our assistive technology in
accordance with what we are going to be doing, and I mean something more
powerful and quicker to configure than the verbosity options that jaws for
example has.

but back to the original question. theoreticly being told that a table is
for summary layout only is useful, it means that we can ignore infrmation
relating to the table, what summary is effectively telling us is that it
isn't important where this information appears in relation to anything else
on the page. like david though I find hearing or feeling this repeated over
and over again is time wasting and frustrating.

in a bizzarre turn around layout tables do have their purpose though, as I
mentioned esarlier screen readers are becoming more powerful and this is
particularly so in the case of html where we can navigate by object and
object levels. With the functionality in jaws to jump to the start and end
of tables and from one table to the next or previous, tables have become
another step in the navigation chain.

Adrian Higginbotham,
Learning Technology Adviser (disability)
Email [log in to unmask]
tel: 0161-2952555
ODL,
Technology House,