BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which, like Afghanistan, cannot be understood by those who use a fork." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 14:27:19 +1100
 --- Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Is it true Ove Arup got the contract to redesign the
> Playtex bra?

Don't know whether they had that particular pleasure.
But the following link explains how they applied
modern computing techniques to understanding how these
support devices behave under dynamic loading:

http://www.arup.com/dyna/applications/other/other.htm

and more details link

It appears they then provided support to a garment
designer in developing the "Bioform" bra:

http://www.arup.com/press/releases/bioform.htm

And then there is the rather cute article comparing
the wobbly Millenium bridge designed by Arup with the
apparent stability of the Bioform bra!

http://www.salon.com/sex/world/2000/08/28/brassiere/

And anecdotally, whilst it would be nice to suggest
that boys just love playing with their toys (I mean
the 3D dynamic analysis software), I have heard that
one of the key members of the team was a female
engineer.

david

http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
- It's My Yahoo! Get your own!