RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 08:55:17 -0700
In two recent posts, [log in to unmask] asks several questions
on sprouting. I will address some of these in the following.

* re: using commercial sprouter, tray type. Uneven sprouting can occur with
these sprouters and pre-soaking the seed is a good idea for the reason you
specified - even soaking yields more even sprouting.

* re: growing large amounts of sprouts. First I would note that you are growing
sprouts for 3-5 days, so they are relatively long. You can eat sprouts when they
are short, and that is an easier approach. Now, to your question: Ann Wigmore
suggests using 7-10 half gallon jars (~2 liters each - large jars) for a large
scale sprouting setup. She discusses this in her book, "The Sprouting Book".
Certainly 7-10 large jars serviced 2-3 times per day will require some
time, as well as a substantial amount of counter or shelf space. Another option
to consider is an automatic sprouter; more expensive but possibly easier.
One can grow large quantities of sprouts using the cloth method - simply use
larger bowls and cloths.

* re: high price of seeds. Buy in bulk, in 5 pounds (2.5 kg) or larger
containers.  Here in California, bulk seeds are readily available in health
food stores, supermarkets, and by mail. For example, bulk wheat ("berries")
range in price locally from $0.29 per pound (non-organic) to $0.65 per pound
(organic); 1 pound = approx 0.45 kg. You may have to search for bulk sources
in your area.

* re: hulling - removing skins. Generally not necessary if you eat your
sprouts when short; a good idea for alfalfa and clover greens (as skins will
spoil in the sprouter). The method you describe - swishing in water is
pretty much standard.

* re: gas/flatulence from pulses (legumes). The skins are not the only
source of gas in pulses; in India some pulses are skinned and then cooked
(dahl) and they still produce gas. I have some notes on reducing flatulence
which I hope to type up and post later this month. Basically, the way to
reduce flatulence is to add anti-gas spices and digestive aids. Details later.

re: grain sprouts are tough and/or bitter. These problems are greatly reduced
if you eat the sprout when the root shoot is about the length of the soaked
seed. Also you are not limited to grains and pulses: try sunflower seeds,
sesame seeds (*must* eat short - bitter when long), almonds, fenugreek, soaked
nuts, and so on.

re: staples - depends on your tastes. My staples are wheat, mung, sunflower,
sesame, oats (for sprout milk), almonds, fenugreek. Also eat (soaked) walnuts.

re: nutritional changes in sprouting. Rather complicated topic; Viktoras
Kulvinskas discusses this at length (with lots of data) in his book, "Sprout
for the Love of Every Body".

Tom Billings