From:
Russell Drop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:30:51 -0500
I have a Compaq Presario 1260 Notebook computer that I bought in 1999. The TFT display is not working. I took it apart and have found that the ribbon cable as well as the backlight cable have cracked from normal wear and tear. The area of the cuts appears to be in the area that the display swings up and down. I called Compaq and being that it is out of warranty was told to get it repaired by one of their authorized repair shops. I then e-mailed them that I thought it was a design/manufacturing flaw... being that normal use resulted in the cables wearing out. They again repeated no way....none of the compaq notebooks have recalls. Well I finally got a 1-800 number from them for parts and was told the cables were $132 and $81 respectively. OUCH. Can anyone offer suggestions as to where one can get cables for less than that or other solutions?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml