From:
ETLehner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:20:32 -0400
I don't know if I ever followed up my own request of 8/16 --

I did manage, with a session of Poking Around, to come up with a location
for IBM Hardware Manuals, including one that covered the 380XD (although not
as specifically as the link Robert provided, thanks!).  Some folks asked me
for the link in email, which I gave them, but I suppose it would be a good
thing to post it publicly also.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/cdt/hmm.html
page title "IBM PCs Tech Library"

This is a long listing for all types of IBM systems, not just my particular
model.  Some of the files are in PDF format, and others are in something
called BookManager.  For the ones where you don't have the PDF option,
there's more information on BookManager at

http://booksrv2.raleigh.ibm.com/

and it appears that you can download a java-based reader at

http://booksrv2.raleigh.ibm.com/homepage/javaserv.html  (disclaimer, I
didn't have to do that, so I don't know if or how well it works.)

The hardware manual I downloaded had lovely diagrams that showed me exactly
what I needed to do to properly disassemble the case, including the torque
ratings for every little screw involved.  Good old Big Blue, they're nothing
if not thorough.  After finally getting it apart, the replacement of the
power card (which was my actual task) was uneventful.  Happy happy.

Anyone working on ThinkPads or Aptivas or even NetFinity servers, I'd
suggest going to the page above, finding the relevant manual, and snagging
the file (some are pretty large, the one I downloaded was 700+ pages inside
the PDF file, although there isn't much stuff on each page -- no I didn't
print the whole thing, just the dozen pages I needed <g>).

Eileen Lehner
8/26  1218edt

http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=psg&doc=PFAN-3T5R
74