From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:24:21 -0400
Ben -

Thanks for the suggestions.

The power supply is the 300W power supply that came with
the in-win q500 case.  I don't remember the brand off-hand, but
so far it's been well-behaved.

How do I tweak the voltage?  The motherboard (abit-ka7) supports
some voltage adjustments via the bios.  I've increased the processor
voltage a few tenths to overclock the processor.  (I have tried
running the system normally, and even underclocking it to
get the memory to work --- with no effect.)

Which voltage are you suggesting I increase?  Is it one of the
ones that is adjustable through the abit-ka7 bios?  Would I
adjust it via the power supply?

By the way, I do plan to return the memory if I can't get it
working.  Would you suggest two 128meg dimms from
crucial as an alternative?  I don't really want to fill up
the slots, though.  Do you think a 256meg dimm from
crucial or mushkin would be worth a flyer?

Just a note:  I've already exchanged the memory once.  I got
it from buy.com, where I've purchased a number of other things.
I have been extremely pleased with buy.com.   They have managed
to stay in business, their selection is broad (I generally only need
to go to other vendors for oem, specialty, or high-end parts), and
I've found their prices to be uniformly competitive.

Lastly, I've found their service (web-based, can't talk to a person)
to be very good, and I've found them to be honest.  I've never
had a problem making a return.

Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What power supply do you have?  Try tweaking the voltage a couple of 10th's.
> AMD's really suck up the output of your power supply. It may be that you
> don't have enough to drive the 256 MB memory.
>
> If all that fails why don't you get your money back and by some other type
> of ram or if they won't give you your money back try exchanging for two
> 128's.  Crucial has some good memory at great prices on the internet.  I've
> been using Mushkin in my boards for a while.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml