EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edith McKlveen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:46:59 -0500
Here's an advantage of paleo living that I never thought about until this
past Friday morning: improved psychological stability.

Full of a tasty omelet and fruit, I had a strange encounter with a coworker
who told me that I "took things too seriously and got hysterical and
disrupted the office and nobody liked it" when I made the mistake of saying
how much I dislike the fact that women in my office are constantly down on
themselves regarding weight and appearance.

This person has said the same thing in other contexts, and it has generally
made a mess of my entire day.  Imagine me tired and jittery from a bad
night's sleep, full of bagel, jelly, and four-sugar-packet tea, trying to
deal with manipulative yapping, and of course you'll immediately
 grasp that
coping on any level would be pretty much impossible.

However, Friday, my heart rate went up slightly, and my thoughts were
momentarily thrown into chaos, but I didn't end up overwrought, unable to
think, and physically shaking.  I was plenty pissed, but I was not freaked
out.  And I wasn't accepting blame for anything because I wasn't thinking
or feeling, "Oh, my God, she's right; I'm always out of control; I'm a
mess!"

I cannot tell you how amazing it is to A) have near-zero levels of
carbohydrate craving, and B) have the ability to think clearly during an
onslaught of office toxicity.

This kind of stability is undoubtedly no surprise to people who've been
doing "meat and salad" for a long time, but boy, I feel like I've just been
let out of some kind of asylum.

Edith

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser