BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:58:36 EST
In a message dated 12/6/00 9:59:51 AM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Advertising was accomplished by literally plastering every available
surface at eye-level with hand bills.  Telegraph poles, buildings, everything
was used. >>

In Greenpoint, Brooklyn, where our office/shop resides, particularly w/ the
immigration of too-well-heeled yuppie artist types who have a penchant for
messing up the place w/ ecology minded papers protesting a recycling center
-- blowing around and clogging the street gutters, we have handbills being
plastered all over the place, on poles, walls, glued to the sidewalks, you
name it. What gets me is that it seems to ad an ambience to the place causing
other less creative yuppie types to travel over from Manhattan to see how
real artistes live, and to leave their money behind in the quaint but
fashionable new boutique restaurants. If you want to know where subway
artists live, visit Greenpoint. Do it quickly as we are quickly following the
East Village toward SOHOization. I get the impression that a prevalence of
distracting home-made artsy fartsy handbills is a boost to any local economy.
Now, some may think this is negative on my part, actually, it was seeing the
potential fifteen years ago for such a wave of aesthetic nausea that was my
reason for urging the company to purchase property.

][<en