From:
Tracy Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:05:35 -0800

Thanks  you for all the wonderful responses to my post- regarding my trip to
Tokyo. Below is the summary of all the info. I was given. Thanks for all
your great wisdom

1. Soba noodle maybe have buckwheat in them- but it is rare to find them -
unless in a special store. Best to avoid them.

2. Bring your own soy sauce.

3. most sushi should be fine- just don't use the soy sauce.

4. The translations in different languages are in Jax lowel's book not bette
Hagman

5. make sure they really understand you and use a clean pan- often they cook
in same pan with just a rinse of water in between uses. Better if you eat at
places that you can see them cook

6. be aware of veggies and meat soaked in soysauce before they are cooked

7. (copy of message sent to me)I have a little translation book from my trip
to Japan about 8 years ago. It has the Japanese symbols and English. It has
the phrase, "Caution: this will make me sick"... and various choices- one
being wheat (not gluten though). Another page says, "I have a medical
problem".. and one choice is food allergies. It is called Show Me Language
Books Japanese created by Seth Godin and produced by Cader Books. I think
the publisher is Andrews and McMeel. If you call a bookstore the ISBN # is
0-8362-2630-5.

8. Great web site for all types of languages. I was really impressed.
http://www.zoeliakie-info.de/Sprachinfo/Japanisch/japanisch.html

Thanks again for all the great information. You really helped me feel ok-
about going and enjoying my trip. Good Health to all. Tracy Donnelly