EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 07:00:37 -0400
Hi all,

I just bought the American Lit CD.  Very nice format, easy to read and
all.  The problem with a CD having Kurzweil format is, of course, that
it is not readable by anything except a Kurzweil 3000.  These books
are in ASCII and can be read on screen, with synthes of any type,
brailled, put into MP3's if you can run the sound for them, printed in
large print, put on tape as plain recordings from a PC speaker, used
by any computer system running any OS including Mac, all flavors of
M%, any paperless braille device, Unix, Linux and probably anything
made up by ET's if they use ASCII.  This is what makes Gutenberg and
projects like it so valuable.  This is why we have to continue to
fight for universality in the reproduction of etexts.

The CD includes, by my suggestion, the DOS text reader, Readit.  This
is the best reader for text that I have ever found, for, it not only
reads the ASCII text, it also allows you to set book marks and return
to them when needed.  Those using Windows will probably have to run
Readit in a DOS box, horror of horrors.  However, if you can do that,
you'll get a simple, useable product.  Sure you can put the etexts
into MSWord and use the search feature to find your book mark, but
this little gem is made for the purpose.  <smile>

Ann P.

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]                   ICQ Number:  33006854