EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mark novak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:37:07 -0500
Just a quick update on status of Macintosh SeriaKeys
  (Please feel free to forward this email message)

1.   First, if you are a Macintosh SerialKeys user, or work with
someone who uses Macintosh SerialKeys and you are not
experiencing any problems, you can skip reading the remainder
of this email posting.

2.  We have posted an update to the Macintosh SerialKeys
software on the Trace web site at:

http://trace.wisc.edu/world/computer_access/mac/sk_soft.html

This last update to the Macintosh SerialKeys software
hopefully will work better with the current "i-Macintosh"
(iMac, iBook, etc.) computers which do not have a serial
port.   Changes were made in how Macintosh SerialKeys
interacts with AppleTalk, in an effort to reduce the
reported problems in that area.

Note, you will still need to install USB-to-serial port
adapter and software (e.g., http://www.keyspan.com/)
prior to installing the Macintosh SerialKeys software.  Also
note, that the Macintosh SerialKeys software will only
work with the  Macintosh Operating System 7.0.x
through 9.0.x.

3.  We have also updated some of the documentation,
especially concerning the use of USB-to-serial adapters as
mentioned above.

http://trace.wisc.edu/world/computer_access/mac/sk_info.html

4.  Finally, we see the future direction for connecting
augmentative and alternative communication devices, et. al., to
the computer in a "serialkeys" fashion, as going through the
USB port/software.   For more information, please refer to the
following paper on the Trace Center web site:

http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/gidei_usb/gidei-usb.html

5.  If anyone has any questions, please send them to the
information line at following email address at the Trace Center: