EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denis Anson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:29:00 -0500
Ultimately, javascript is no more and no less accessible than anything
else.  It's a tool that lets you do certain things.  You have the
option of doing things in an accessible way, or in an inaccessible way.

HTML is also neither accessible nor inaccessible.  If you follow the
content guidelines, you can make highly accessible pages.  If you
flaunt the guidelines ("click here" for all of your links, for
example), you can create inaccessible pages.

The big difference, I think, is that, with HTML, there has been a lot
of work to define accessible practices.  Javascript is like a two year
old child.  You *can* do anything, and no one can tell you not to.  So,
page designers "innovate" in ways that are completely inaccessible and
confusing.

Denis Anson

David Poehlman wrote:

> [...]
You
>>can make an inaccessible environment in any programming language, so I
>>would conclude that this example demonstrates the developers narrow
scope
>>of various JavaScript coding practices. I do, however, agree with the
>>phrase "As long as people have to do extra work for accessibility, it
>>'ain't gonna' happen.'" But I don't believe that this is a reflection on
>>the language itself.

Denis Anson, MS, OTR
Assistant Professor
College Misericordia