EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:02:13 -0500
Very, very, very cold!!!!
I agree!

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Gardner" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: HTML Title attribute

Marlys, your request is certainly not inappropriate for the list.  However
(my opinion) it would be inappropriate to continue this discussion to find
a way to "deal with content providers such as these".  Such content
providers are violating the letter and the spirit of the 504 rules and just
need to be told that their web site will either be changed or be in
violation.  They won't be satisfied with that, but there isn't anything
else that will satisfy content providers "like these".

We must all understand that rules can never cover all situations and that
content providers must occasionally find alternatives in order to do
innovative things.  I'm happy to help such people.  I'm not willing to
spend my time helping somebody who just "wants to" do something as dumb as
putting "click here" as a link.  We all have better use of our time.  Until
the law is changed to send them to Siberia, all we can do is give them a
very cold shoulder.

John

At 08:13 PM 2/28/2003 -0500, pub Marlys wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I believe I'm the person who offered the idea about using a graphic with a
>meaningful alt tag.  Your comments are informative and much appreciated.
>
>It is not an ideal solution.  In addition to issues of maintenance and
>upkeep, graphic size must also be considered.  Graphics don't enlarge when
>text is resized by (most) browsers and therefore represent a potential
>barrier for those with minor visual impairments.  Meaningful text links are
>the preferred solution.
>
>However, it is not an ideal world.  The idea was offered as a way to meet
the
>demands of the content providers while also addressing accessibility.
>
>If possible, I would ask those of you with experience to offer
>suggestions/strategies for dealing with content providers such as these.
It
>has been my experience that even Section 508/ADA requirements fail to
>convince/persuade some people.
>
>I admit I really really really like the Siberia idea, but how about some
>practical alternatives?
>
>I apologize in advance if my request is inappropriate to the list.
>

>Thanks!
>
>Marlys

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278