EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:59:41 -0400
Eileen;

I would contact ScanSoft, the company that owns Naturally Speaking at
www.scansoft.com .  We had this problem occur with version 4.0 of Nat Speak
and MS Word 2000.  It required installing a patch to MS Word but ScanSoft's
tech support folks might be able to direct you to the exact patch.

Good luck,

Kathy

At 03:43 PM 4/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Yes, I know -- you're all shocked to hear that there's a conflict.
>
>The client's system is a Windows 2000 OS, Celeron 1300 processor, 525K
>RAM. The computer is part of a networked system, but DNS is loaded on her
>individual CPU. She is using Naturally Speaking Preferred 6.0 with the
>microphone that came with the DNS package.
>
>My original suggestions included an Andrea mike and a USB Buddy Pod, but
>they have not been ordered for her yet.
>
>DNS is working fine with Excel, the MS Internet Explorer, and email
>through MS Outlook. The only problem is that sometimes it takes a while
>for DNS to open up, and a longer than expected time if training a word or
>phrase.
>
>DNS is *not* working with MS Word. It makes no difference if you open up
>MS Word or DNS first, and then the other program. As soon as you turn the
>microphone on and try to dictate, this error message window comes up:
>
>The error window is titled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"
>The message is: Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft
>Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE.  Then it says "abnormal program termination"
>and gives you an OK button to click on. (Like you have a choice.) The only
>way to get out of it is to reboot the computer.
>
>Your suggestions will be much appreciated! I am quite familiar with DNS,
>but this is my first time working with Version 6. The network people who
>work on the client's system are not familiar with DNS, so I'm trying to
>get them the information they should have also. If it makes a difference,
>the MS Word program is on a network drive. Of course, the other programs
>it works fine with are on that same drive.
>
>Do you think a different mike and/or the USB buddy pod would help?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Eileen Haddon :)

>Eileen C. Haddon, ATP
>Vermont Assistive Technology Project
>Vermont Technical College
>Randolph Center, VT  05061
>Phone: 802-728-1520 / Fax: 802-728-1390
>
>Rehab Engineering Technology  --  Make a difference!

Kathy Cahill
MIT Adaptive Technology (ATIC) lab
77 Mass. Ave. 11-103
Cambridge MA 02139