From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:18:48 -0700
At 07:29 AM 9/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>  I leave mine running 24X7 unless I go away from home, but I always log
> off and turn off the monitor (uses the most power). I have set up my
> power scheme in Win 98 to turn off the hard drives after half and hour.

Power Saver makes sense on a laptop running off a battery, or if you are
administering a large network with tens or hundreds of monitors and hard
drives. But for the single end user, while this feature might save you a
few pennies of electricity it is VERY hard on your hard drive and monitor.
The worse thing you can do to a hard drive, or a monitor is to turn them
off and on all day. But don't take my word on it...IBM did a five year
study and a  white paper on this and concluded for administrators, that it
is a crap shoot... what you save now in electricity, you will pay for later
in short component lifespan. As an end user I would rather pay a few extra
pennies now to preserve my hard drives and monitors for as long as possible.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group