From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:12:01 -0400
On a good pc, go to control panel, Add /remove programs, start-up disk.  It
will ask for your win9x cd, and it will make a bootable diskette.  I am
assuming the good pc has the same version of win9x as the bad pc.  Connect
the two pc's together so the good pc has the bad pc's hard disk now as d.
You may not want to or have to format drive d:.  Use these commands from a
dos box:
sys c: d:
to copy the win9x boot files to d.
copy a:*.* d:
to copy everything on the diskette you just made to d.
Now close the dos box and open a text editor, preferably notepad.  File,
open, d:\autoexec.bat
There is a line near the top that starts PATH=
change the ;a:; to read ;c:; and save.
now put the bad pc back together, and try booting it.  It should load the
version of windows that you used to make the diskette, and then bring up the
windows install menu, 'Start computer with CD-ROM support', 'Start computer
without CD-ROM support' etc.  You want to select cd-rom support.

If you don't have a cd in the drive, it will tell you the letter for the
cdrom drive and just stop at a c:\ dos prompt.  you may want to stop at this
point, put the boot diskette into the bad pc floppy drive, and type
dir a:
to see what the error message of the moment might be.

If you do have the windows cd in, it should launch the setup.  once windows
is installed, it SHOULD put rem in front of all the config.sys and
autoexec.bat lines, but you will probably have to go and erase them
yourself, to have a nice tidy boot into windows.  All the rest of the files
that you copied from the diskette can also be safely erased after windows is
installed, except COMMAND.COM.

Tom Turak