EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"D. Tweed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:50:45 +0000
Hi, I'm thinking of evaluating whether the proposed causative model in
Prof de Vany's evolutionary fitness essay works for me. (I.e, I'm
interested in seeing whether a diet of high protein, not too bothered
about fat, low carbohydrate, low cereal/tuber, high salad type vegetables,
high variety works for me. At the moment I'm not going to examine whether
such these foods fit the observed data, i.e., would actually have been
what palaeolithic people ate.) The key snag is that I can't do this
without knowing what the composition of various foodstuffs is. So, can
anybody on the list recommend a source of information (book, web database,
etc) that can answer questions like what the composition of a carrot is,
giving answers that are useful for determining how it fits into the
evolutionary fitness model? (In the UK there's a book called LifePoints
that tabulates positive nutritional value & negative nutritional value
data according to an abstract normalised scheme, but this seems to be
using a model which says carbohydrate content doesn't matter.)

Many thanks for any references anyone can give me,

www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/pi.htm|tweed's law:  however many computers
email: [log in to unmask]     |    you have, half your time is spent
work tel: (0117) 954-5250      |    waiting for compilations to finish.