BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:27:03 EST
Congratulations to Ken & Kathy Follett, Bryan Blundell, and the Pennsylvania
Historical Commission for pulling off a great event in Harrisburg this week.
What a great workshop!  Rev. Rhodes shows that he can play a mean banjo, and
BP presenters included Michael Davidson, Nick Micros, Deb Bledsoe (who have I
forgotten...?). Don White was there, too, passing out samples of the
Preservation Sourcebook and showing off his Morgan tie.

The highlights for me were the cement tour (and the largest piece of moveable
machinery in the world -- a rotary kiln) and watching the faces of the young
crafts and trades people who were intensely focused on improving their skills
in restoration. I learned how to make lime putty, enjoyed hearing a capsule
history of 8000 years of stone masonry, and met a lot of really interesting
people. Amazing. It was wonderful.

Then, of course, there was the hospitality of Harrisburg PA, which is nothing
like the dingy, gritty city that I remember from my yout. The state capitol
building has been recently restored to incredible beauty -- what a place! --
and the city has created a delightful park along the Susquehanna River. It's
not without its glass & steel and large scale development at the core,
however, and many neighborhoods remain unrehabilitated, but there is a sense
of vitality and growth, along with some interesting and well-maintained
historic buildings. In short, an interesting part of the world to visit.

Thanks all for a great time! I learned a lot!

Julep