SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dov Henis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:26:54 +0200
From [log in to unmask]  99-03-23

Further "gut feelings" in response to the comments and thoughts of sgoerner
and of jon_gm :

1. Essentially the "basic nature" of life is COMMON to single cells,
monocells in a polycell
system, and to a polycell system regardless of its overall size and degree
of complexity. The answer to "What makes a single cell a Life" is an answer
to what makes us a Life.

2. Most probably PNs do not have "urges" ; they have a "biological drive" ,
probably similar to a "direction of chemical reaction".

3. The Genesis of the PNs was most probably the spontaneous "energetically
reasonable" coupling of single strands into the primordial paired DNA
ladder. This is most probably the "material seed" of Life.

4. The "fuse" that started the motion of life is Energy. Life is indeed in
essence mechanism(s) to draw energy from the "universal pool", to store it
in various forms and to utilize it in several ways for repeating this
process infinitely. This is the "basic" biological drive.

5. True, we do not YET know (a) IF or (b) WHY  the capability of  the PNs
base chemical compositions/configurations to spontaneously organise in Life
forms is unique in our universe. This present lack of knowledge is just a
naturally expected state in the course of human quest for The Final Theory.
After all so far humans have not yet arrived at The Root Of Everything and
it is possible that they will NEVER arrive there. OK. Presently it seems
reasonable to conjecture that the Originator and Driver of Life is Energy.
But is this a satisfactory answer ?
It opens a vast subject of what is Energy, its origin and directions of
flows etc.,

Friends, let us accept that no matter how deep and how far we see and think
that we concieve and comprehend the Unknown will still be there ahead of
us.   Dov Henis