From:
Diane Boudreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:29:29 -0500
From: "Dan Kucherich" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 5:34 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] CPU retention clips

> Hi, do the 2 clips from the celeron board pull off and then you
> pull the processor board out?  If so, you will note on these
> clips (at least the ones I've seen) there is actually one little
> protrusion that clicks into the retention bar.  Your slot one
> (SECC) cpu should also have this one little protrusion on each
> side that will snap into the retention mechanism.
>
> If this is the case, then you don't need to change anything, the
> PII 333 should snap right in.  Now if the 333 cpu is SECC2 type
> that has a curved end with a little cut in middle from top to
> bottom, then you might need a different retention mechanism.
>
> Some retention mechanisms I've noticed will accept both types of
> CPUs.
The original 266 cpu doesn't have a plastic shell and the newer 333  has the
shell. The original clips are the short kind and the newer cpu needs those
that are tall and clip at the top. My PC Upgrade and Repair Bible shows a
picture of 2 types of clips on page 1044. The place I bought the cpu does
have clips that don't quite match up to either picture, but are supposed to
be for a PII or III slot 1 cpu. They are only $1.99 before shipping, so no
big expense if they aren't right. Now I have to figure out how to leverage
the old cpu out of the slot, or should I just remove the screws holding the
clips first, since I have to replace those anyhow?
Diane

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>