From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:27:56 -0400
I have Win 98 1st, PIII 800, 256 Mb PC133, nVidia GII MX video card with the latest nVidia drivers.  If left alone it will boot into safe mode 80% of the time.  I have checked device manager for conflicts and other problems but have found none.  In safe mode device manager shows that I have two primary hard disk controllers and two secondaries.  In Windows only one of each show.

What is strange is that I can get it to boot into Windows 70% of the time on a first try just by keeping the enter key depressed from the time the Windows splash screen comes up until it loads.  30% of the time it may take two or three tries doing it this way.  Once it's running it runs well except that it will occasionally completely lock up when I try to get my e-mail using Outlook 2000.  I have AT&T @home, and have used their software to configure my network stuff, and am using their NIC.

I have tried to remove the multiple hard disk controllers in safe mode (they don't show in Windows) because I thought that might be the problem. It tells me I must delete the parent device to get rid of them, but it doesn't say what the parent device is.

I don't know what else to look for with respect to deleting the multiples, and what I should look for to get it to boot up by itself.  I don't think it's the nVidia card as it did that before I installed it, and it did it with all the drivers I've downloaded for it. I've looked at the bootlog, and the only file that didn't successfully load when it failed is ppa3.mpd, which is an iomega driver file.  I have downloaded the latest Iomega drivers for my Zip 250 (internal), so I know the file is not corrupt.  I have all the updated driver files for everything on this machine, and have installed all the updates for win 98 1st.  What should I look for next?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml