From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:27:40 -0400
Two things are happening when you see the Windows logo, the pc is shifting
to 32bit mode, and the video is changing to your default graphics setting,
say (800x600 and truecolor).  One or the other could be hanging.  A couple
of boots into safe mode may help pinpoint the trouble. Or, from Start, Run,
enter msconfig, and try a few boots with interactive loading, etc.  The
hardcore method is to pull all non-essential hardware, and then start a
pattern of booting up, then replacing one device, and booting up, etc until
it starts hanging again.  Its not unheard of for the system to need a little
heat to make a card or chip 'sit' properly in its slot, and all this
hardware swapping will find that, too. I like to focus on the video,
especially since some users mistakenly assume a 'hang' when in fact windows
is quite healthy and running, only the video has stopped so you can't easily
know that.
Then again, a close friend of mine never bothered to fix this symptom in his
P-iii and it ran without incident, and might still be if it hadn't been
replaced with an athlon recently.
Tom Turak