From:
Mike Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:42:11 -0400
Hello Changhsu,

Thursday, September 27, 2001, 9:57:42 AM, you wrote:

CPL> I'm confused about this issue. I bought a router recently thinking it can
CPL> function as firewall besides the ability to have more internet connections
CPL> than assigned. I recently installed Norton Personal Firewall and I was
CPL> surprised to see at least 5-6 attack reports each night.

Firstly, let me say that Mark has some great comments.

One thing I wanted to point out is that just because you operate a
firewall doesn't mean your system's ports won't be poked or prodded.
That's what Norton reports. It's not that your system has been
"attacked," as you say, rather something(one) has probed the ports on
your system. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I am curious, though ... Where is the router/hub? Do you have it
between the cable modem and your system? Is your system assigned a
private IP #? (192.x.x.x, for example)

It is possible that the router is throwing out chatter that Norton
reports as an "attack" or "scan," even though it's nothing of the
sort. SyGate Personal Firewall will report internal LAN chatter as a
"scan" from time to time.

Check the originating IP of the scan. If it's always the IP assigned
to your router, then you're fine.

(Unless, if course, the IP is spoofed. But the chances of that are
less likely unless you are being directly attacked.)

Hope this helps,

Mike...

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml