From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:49:39 -0400
Rick,
The problem is in your network configuration, most likely. You have the DNS
(domain name service) settings either missing or wrong. Without DNS, the
computer cannot resolve names such as www.yahoo.com into numerical IP
addresses. This is also why, if you enter the numerical IP address, you can
get to the site, because you are then bypassing DNS. It doesn't matter what
OS you run. Call the ISP, and just find out what the IP address is of their
DNS server(s), and enter it in the appropriate place. THis would be in the
netork control panel under TCP/IP for either the dial-up adapter if youre
using a modem, or the NIC if it's DSL or cable.

Glenn

> Hi,
> I am helping a friend with a problem. He runs a Duron 800 with
> 64 meg RAM running Windws ME, IE5.5 and OE5.  Suddenly he
> can not use email or browse.  I have spent considerable time with
> the help desk at his ISP.  It appears that if I have the numerical
> DNS (ie 203.16.233.7) the email and browser works fine (for that
> specific page!). Neither program will recognize www.yahoo.com for
> example.  All I get from the iSP is that "we don't use ME so are not
> sure".
>  Can someone assist? Is the problem "ME" or is there some
>  other cause?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml