From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:49:35 -0400
> Brendan:
>          The system is a P133 with 64 MB RAM running WIN98SE. There are
two
> NICs [one connected to a cable modem & the other to a 4-port hub. We plug
> laptop(WIN95) into the hub (and soon an iMAC as well). There is no printer
> or file sharing. But we share the internet connection.

Ok lets go with basics.
 A DHCP server software or device is recommemended. Computers connect to one
another through an ID known as TCP/IP. There are other ways but this is the
most common for me. DHCP server or software assigns IP address to networked
computers. DHCP assigns dynamic IP address that means they can change for
each time you connect to the network.  Static IPs stay the same and do not
change.

Windows 98 does not have a built in DHCP ability. So a third party software
or device must be used. Now a couple of side notes on things here before
confusion sets in. You can always set in a static IP by going to your
network card's tcp/ip properties and assign one( you may need to when you
first install your network card ). Here is the problem a gateway IP is
needed for other computers to enter a gateway IP is usually the IP of the
server it is like the highway map to a tourist spot. take I-4 east to Disney
world. Bob's computer is assigned IP 198.168.1.101 and it need s to get to
the internet through gateway 198.168.1.1 which is the IP of the server.
Windows 98 would then also work through a function known as ICS ( internet
connection sharing ) which is built into win 98. My deal is this I have a
tough time getting them to work right and the gateway setups on that don't
work well enough for me to recommend it. Also it is very unstable in my
experiences.

Enough lecture on to the fun stuff. You can buy a router with DHCP function
built into it. Following the instructions you will then use that device to
help with the assign of IPs and they make great internet traffic cops.
Directing internet traffic to it's proper point. Not much for speed help but
it cuts down on collisions ( yes there are crashes on the internet ) .
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5 is one brand of
router with DHCP. You can also use a software based setup
http://www.sybergen.com/products/gate_ov.htm is made by sybergen called
sygate.

Now this will do the internet sharing only as I have discussed it. Also I am
not real familiar with iMAC's so you will have to look that one up. This how
it works with windows OS setups I have done. Note if you do LINUX it is a
little different.

Brendhan Horne