From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:13:46 -0500
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:02:38 -0400, Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
posted article <001901c12201$50d48060$9b00900a@zog>, which said:

> Ethan,
> E-Machines,at least in the units I've had the mispleasure to work on, use no
> name poor quality drives. In fact, most of their computers are built of
> cheap, second rate, generic components. It sounds like the drive is fried.

As it turns out, the hard drive itself was fine.  I'm running it now as a
slave drive in my current system.  The motherboard, however, seems to have
been the culprit.  I have since rebuilt the system with an Abit KT7A
motherboard, Athlon 1200, GeForce 2 MX, two 256 meg SDRAM DIMM's, new ATA100
compatible IDE cable, and a new Western Digital 30.7 gig hard drive.  Only
problem I had was I didn't get the video card seated good in the AGP slot.
Ever since then it's worked like a charm.  I had less trouble building my
own which has similar hardware except I got the KT7A-RAID and put a GeForce
2 Ultra in it and use my old 30-gig ATA66 drive.  His old 4.3 gig is coming
in handy for storing old e-mail until I have enough to categorically burn to
CD's. :-)  As payment for the labor, he added another 256 megs of SDRAM to
my system so I'm happily floating along with 512.  :-D

Ethan