From:
Mike Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:29:12 -0500
I have just been given a hub by a friend and as I have two pc's permanently
in the house, a laptop and two other laptops appear outside of university
term times it seems to make sense to network all the computers. I have cabled the house with points in various places. Everything seems ok. The LED's on the hub indicate that the connections are good.

I have cable modem installed.

I have two network cards installed in the machine that is connected to the
CM. There is also a printer attached to this machine.

All machines are running win98se.

My requirements are, if possible,

Print and file share amongst the various computers
Share the CM amongst the computers. I appreciate there would be a loss of
speed here if two machines were accessing the net at the same time.

As a newbie to networking. I wonder if anyone can help with the following
questions

What protocols should I install
What adapters should I install
What services should I install
What Clients should I install, bearing in mind I do not want to logon to
windows or the network.
What other software might I require.

I do have a firewall installed (Zone Alarm) and also have a virus checker
(Norton's).

Any help would be truly appreciated.

TIA

Mike Mason