From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:30:47 -0400
> I just had Sprint Broadband install and was wondering if there are any
> tweaks/harware config that I should be aware of to take full advantage. I
> will be networking several computers together thru a router. I know I use
> crossover cable for just one computer without the router. Do I need to use
> straight cables when using the router and networking the other computers?

Use straight cables. You should have a hub or a multiport router.  Please
note that some hubs and routers have what is known as mid-i / mid-x buttons
on them you can use a straight cable here also you just need to set the
button for which setting you need mid-i is straight through and mid-x is a
crossover. This turns the connection around inside the device and means you
only have to buy straight cables. Also some hubs will have a uplink port
which is usually next to one of the end ports. Say for example port 1. In
this case both port 1 and the uplink are the same except that you only use
the one you need. Instead of a mid-i / mid-x switch they put in two ports
that go to the same place.

Now for your patch cords make sure that they and the cables that run to your
computers are cat 5 that will maintain the speed integrity of the cable.
Make sure you have a hub that will detect 10/100 speed devices and use
10/100 NICs ( network cards ) . If you router is multiport it is also acting
as a hub. Kind of a two built into one.

Now is where the questions pop up. Is your router acting as your DHCP device
( dynamic IP's ) or are you using a server for that?  Are you going to be
using static IP's instead of DHCP?  Are you familiar with any of the
questions I have just asked if you are I am not trying to go after you
intelligence but if you are not these are items that will also need to be
followed through on.

Now for the hardware /software tweaks go to http://www.speedguide.net/ and
read up on cable / dsl modems.

Please do not forget to have a firewall installed.

Brendhan Horne

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml