Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:51:03 -0700
  "Resources" are data structures in the Winodws OS space that are
loaded on behalf of applications.

  The "Good News" is that because these are in system space, rather
than private application space, they can be shared by multiple
applications.

  The "Bad News" is that because these are in system space, rather
than private application space, the system has no way of know which
of the applications currently running -- if any -- still needs them.
It has to rely on applications explicitly telling the OS "I don't
need this resource any more".
  Which means that unless the application keeps a careful list of all
of its resources, and remembers to dispose of them all before
shutting down -- and that code all has to be bug-free... -- resources
once loaded will stay loaded after the application has ended, and
quite possibly until the next reboot.

  It sounds like you are using one or more applications that do not
properly free resources when done with them.  Unfortunately, this is
pretty common, and the only generally-applicable fix is to move to an
OS that tracks which processes need which resources -- Windows NT and
Windows 2000.  All of the 9x-ME series have to trust applications to
clean up after themselves.

David Gillett