From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:01:06 -0700
The reason it is called a fixed FSB is that it is fixed.  I had the 440LX,
and it will not support anything other than the specified 66 Mhz FSB.  The
BIOS on my mobo was Phoenix Gateway, and did not allow upping the FSB.
Besides that I am quite sure the mobo doesn't support it.  I was informed
that it would not support a faster CPU than a 300 Mhz PII.  Back when this
mobo was around, a 266 Mhz PII was top-of-the-line.  Shortly after I got
mine (233 Mhz PII), the 300, 333, 350 PII's came out.  Somewhere I still
have the manual on this board, but I do recollect checking to see what
upgrades I could make and finding out its limitations.  One of those is the
fixed 66 Mhz FSB, and the other is nothing over 300 Mhz CPU.  If you want to
upgrade, get the 440 BX or an ASUS or Abit board that supports what you want
to do.  I bought an ASUS P3V4X which supports 66 to PC133 FSB.  If you look
around you can get that board for a little over $100 as it is not ASUS's
top-of-the-line.  A new 440 LX costs about $89, but is limited.

Subject: [PCBUILD] Al440LX Mobo

The Intel AL440LX  motherboard has a fixed FSB @66 MHz & uses SDRAM DIMMS
@ 66MHz (PC66). Earlier on the list someone said you could use PC100
DIMMS to upgrade memory. Would not the PC100s run degraded with the fixed
FSB?? Or is there a way to change the fixed FSB speed? It has a 6.5x
multiplier for the CPU, so it would be nice to be able to up the FSB
speed.. Is it possible through BIOS configuration?
Specs were written when the board came out so I'm curious now what
changes are possible.
George Hurless