Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:40:33 -0400
Hi all,

  Every once in a while the subject of ketosis comes up.  I've wanted to
share my opinion of it but didn't recall any references (I need a personal
librarian, lol).  I stumbled across one of them in providing the citations
in my recent posts.

  "Dramatically increased fatty acid oxidation occurs in starvation and in
diabetes mellitus with the large amounts of ketone bodies that accumulate to
give the ketoacidotic condition.  Carnitine deficiency results in impairment
of fatty acid oxidation and failure of gluconeogenesis, leading to
hypoglycemia."

  Lord and Bralley: Clinical Applications of Fatty Acid Profiling.

Siobhan (Catherine)