From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:18:03 -0500
At 03:00 PM 04/08/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a commercial jerky I could buy that is not too toxic? (
>no MSG,ETC)  I'd like to have some on hand to give to Larry's friends.
>Thanks, Mary

Mary,

I looked and looked for some and couldn't find any.

However, it is incredibly easy to make. Just ask your butcher to slice a
piece of steak (I use London Broil) into 1/4 or 1/8 inch thick strips. I
usually season with a good mineral sea salt and garlic (and sometimes dried
fine-ground Mexican spices -if you like it zippy) Lay it out flat on a
screen or something perforated for a few days to dry. Semi- dry it is quite
good and often it is gone before it gets all the way dried out!  I usually
use an extra refrigerator in the garage, but, if you protect it from flies
and other carnivores,  you can dry it outside in the sun.

It is fairly cheap and easy, and I am famous among my kids' friends for my
great tasting jerky!

Louise