BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv with bag-matching software - that is, we make your bag match your face." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:56:35 EST
In a message dated 1/17/2002 9:24:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Don't listen to all these old farts that believe that your
>  adventure is too dangerous. Life is too short to not once in a
>  while just follow dream.

As a mother of two sons, I have found that, when I bring up the dangers and
pitfalls of some proposed [life-threatening] scheme and my fears for their
safety, I'm really only giving voice to fears they feel already, but would
never admit. It's their job to be adventuresome and gutsy, I think it's mine
to identify fears and dangers and then step back and allow them to find a way
to overcome them. Besides, I have found that when I raise "health and safety"
issues regarding some adventure:

1) he may want it even more;
2) he will figure out a way to do what he wants without causing me worry;
3) he will decide that I may have a point, and do something else less scary;
and/or
4) he will do what he wants without regard for what I say (very rare).

One parent (often you Dads out there) can say, "I love you and go for it!" --
the other (often the Moms) says, "I love you and I want you to stay safe!" My
sons had to figure out how to straddle these opposing positions for
themselves. I think both sides are important for them to hear. It's part of
growing up.

I know Peter will find his way to the right choice for himself, too.

-- Mother of a former Keewaydinesi